I have always loved the aroma of baked coconut, be it in macaroons or coconut tarts or simply while roasting dessicated coconut for making traditional curries. It is a wonderful ingredient. That’s not all, the moistness of this cake is due to a secret ingredient, yogurt which is added in the cake in almost equal amount to coconut to give it a light and soft texture balancing the coarseness of coconut.
Butter 3/4 cup
Super fine sugar 1 cup
Baking powder 1 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence 1/2 tsp
Flour 1 3/4 cup
Dessicated Coconut 3/4 cup
- Beat butter, sugar, coconut and vanilla essence with electric beater or in food processor.
- Beat in yogurt.
- Sift flour, cornflour and baking powder.
- Add in 1 egg and 1 table spoon of flour mixture. Continue beating. This step is required to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Add in remaining two eggs and beat.
- Lastly add in flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined.
- Pour into greased 8″ round cake tin or 8″ x 4″ loaf tin.
- Sprinkle 1 table spoon each of dessicated coconut and granulated sugar.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 4 for 50-60 minutes until center comes out clean and is light golden in color.
PS. Stay tuned for some exciting special posts as I plan to cover various food related stuff from Karachi, Pakistan where I am currently vacationing.