What’s the difference between apple crisp and apple crumble?
Are Gala Apples good for Crisps?
I have always used Gala apples with skin and it turns out perfect. They are sweet enough such that it doesn’t require any additional sweetness in the apple layer.
Here is how to old fashioned apple crisp from scratch:
- 3-4 Apples*
- 1/2 cup all purpose Flour**
- 2/3 Brown sugar [Use a little less if you prefer mild sweet]
- 1/2 cup Rolled oats
- 3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon grounded 3/4 tsp
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg grated (optional)
- 1/3 cup Nuts and raisins (optional)
- 1/3 cup Butter softened but still cold plus a little extra
- Wash, peel,seed and cut apples into cubes. (I prefer with skin on)
- Put them on a buttered pie dish.
- Mix rest of the ingredients and rub with fingers to resemble crumbs.
- Spread on the apples evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at gas mark 325 F for about 30 minutes.
- * Use any kind available, I used Gala
- ** You can use wholewheat flour as well