I have always loved the aroma of baked coconut, be it in macaroons or coconut tarts or simply while roasting desiccated coconut for making traditional curries. It is a wonderful ingredient. This easy one bowl super soft coconut cake (desiccated)is delicious with evening tea or even morning because well who is judging 😉
How do you make a moist coconut cake from scratch?
The moistness of this homemade coconut cake is due to a secret ingredient, yogurt which is added in the cake in almost equal amount to coconut to give it a light and soft texture balancing the coarseness of coconut.
What is desiccated coconut and how do you use it?
Is shredded and desiccated coconut the same?
- 3/4 cup Butter (softened)
- 1 cup castor/grinded sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla essence 1/2 tsp
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- 3/4 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1/3 cup Corn Flour/ Corn Starch
- Beat butter, sugar, coconut and vanilla essence with electric beater or in food processor.
- Beat in yogurt.
- Sift flour, cornflour and baking powder.
- Add in 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of flour mixture*.
- Continue beating.
- Add in remaining two eggs and beat.
- Lastly add in flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined.
- Pour into greased 8" round cake tin or 8" x 4" loaf tin.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon each of dessicated coconut and granulated sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325 F for 50-60 minutes until center comes out clean and is light golden in color.
- *This step is required to prevent the mixture from curdling.
PS. Stay tuned for some exciting special posts as I plan to cover various food related stuff from Karachi, Pakistan where I am currently vacationing.