Caramel Pudding or Creme Caramel is an easy, no fuss dessert that can be made ahead and proves to be a perfect end to a any meal. Made with three main ingredients and sugar for caramel, it can be either baked in an oven or stove top over a water bath.
Why you should make this recipe?
And now on to the recipe. I have seen Ammi made this since my childhood. It is super easy and very impressive dessert and only contains five ingredients. It is such a staple recipe of my mum’s kitchen that we had started disliking it only because of the frequency and love it gets. Just follow a few tips and you will be creating most impressive dessert in no time and quite frequently too.
Recipe at a glance
For the Caramel
Sugar – Granulated
For the Custard
Eggs – 6 large
Vanilla – Extract or Essence
Milk – Condensed & Full Fat
Step by Step Process to make Caramel Pudding
Step 1 – Caramelize the sugar by placing the aluminum pan directly on a low heat until sugar melts and turns amber color. If you are using a glass dish, you can melt the sugar in a pan and then pour in the dish. Make sure the glass dish is heat proof.
Step 2 – Whisk eggs and vanilla really well using a hand beater. You can use or a stand mixer or by hand using a whisk.
Step 3 – Add in condensed milk and full fat milk, mix well.
Step 4 – Pour the mixture in the prepared pan, bake it over a water bath for almost 90 minutes until set completely, with slight jiggle. It should be golden in color with few dark speckles.
Step 5 – Cool completely before refrigerating overnight or 8 hours minimum before inverting.
Step 6 – If serving on a dish, take a serving platter with rim large enough and run the knife on the sides of the pan to loosen the pudding. Place the dish on top of the pan and flip over.
You can make one large pudding, 2 medium size or in small ramekins. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.
The caramel pudding can be optionally served with cream chantilly (lightly whipped, mildly sweet fresh cream and berries or even seasonal fruits like mangoes, pineapple etc.)
Substitutions and Variations
If you prefer to serve it as is without inverting then you can skip the caramelizing part. However the it will be less sweeter so add a couple of tablespoons of sugar in the mixture along with the milks.
Storage and Make Ahead
This recipe can be easily made ahead a day or two and can be kept in fridge.
Make sure that you invert it right before serving in a dish with a low rim to catch that caramel.
It should be chilled for atleast 6-8 hours and ideally overnight.
Creme Brulee is a similar dessert to Pudding with hard sugar caramel layer on top of egg yolk base custard.
- 395 grams Condensed milk
- 1 litre Full fat milk
- 6 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence/ extract
- 2 tablespoons Granulated sugar
For the Caramel
- Sprinkle granulated sugar in an 8 inches or 9 inches round pan or any oven proof pan which can hold 2 liters.
- Place it directly over the stove on a medium heat till sugar starts melting and caramelizing.
- If you are using a ceramic or glass dish, you may want to melt sugar in a pan and then pour it immediately in your dish.
- It may harden which is fine.
For the Custard
- Beat eggs and vanilla with a stand mixer (whisk attachment) or with a hand beater.
- Add in both milks and continue beating.
- You just need to mix really well till a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven in a water bath* at 400 F for at least 1.5 hours***.
- Chill it in refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight before unmoulding. If you have baked in a glass bowl, you can serve it as is.
- To speed up the process, I chill in freezer uncovered for 1 hour and then 2 hours in refrigerator.
- To unmould, run a parring knife around the edges inner and outer and place a big inverted serving plate on top. Carefully turn it, tap and it will come out easily.
- *Water bath is merely a bigger pan with water atleast 2 inches high and the actual dish placed in it.
- **If the water dries out when you check half way through, simply pour more water with a jug.
- ***It can take up to 2 hours but make sure the cake tester comes out clean.