Today I am sharing the moist white cake recipe with tender crumb, melt in mouth texture. This is the best vanilla cake I have ever made and I use it all the time for my decorated cake as it is not overly sweet. You can enjoy is as it is or with very light filled and frosted with Buttercream.
Why I made this recipe?
I have been in search of a good vanilla cake recipe that ticks all the following boxes
- not too sweet
- moist and flavorful
- sturdy enough for cake decoration
- goes well with buttercream
A vanilla cake falls in one of the tricky cakes category. This recipe uses both oil and butter for moistness and flavor.
Recipe at a glance
- Egg whites room temperature from 6 large eggs
- Dry Ingredients – All purpose flour, baking powder
- Oil – any neutral flavored oil
- Unsalted Soft, room temperature butter
- Milk – whole, full fat milk
- Caster Sugar – grinded sugar at home
Tips for making best White Cake
How to store a cake?
After taking them out of the oven, let them cool enough to handle easily. Take them out and cool on a wire rack completely. Wrap in a plastic and place it another bag or cover with foil. Refrigerate for a day or freeze for up to a week. To defrost, let them come to room temperature for couple of hours, removing the first wrap. From refrigerator you can use directly.
To store an assembled cake, place it covered in refrigerator but take it out 20-30 minutes before serving.
Cakes tastes best when eaten at room temperature.
If storing a cut cake, make sure you either cut slices and wrap well and place in an airtight box or place a slice of bread with a skewer to the exposed part.
Remember – exposed cake = dry cake.
Best pan to make Moist Vanilla Cake?
I always use and recommend aluminum cake pans. They conduct heat evenly as opposed to black/non stick pans and even glass pans which conduct heat very rapidly.
A detailed video on cake pans and the most recommended ones can be found here.
Can I make it ahead?
Yes this cake can be made ahead. Please see the above tips on storing cake layers.
Substitutions and Variations?
This is a little temperamental recipe and I will not suggest lot of changes to it.
However, milk can be replaced with any plant-based milk.
What can go wrong?
When adding egg whites, sometime the batter gets curdled and it appears to be not coming together, however with each addition of egg whites, add a tablespoon of dry sifted mixture of flour to ensure even mixing.
To achieve perfectly even layers, weigh in the cake batter for each pan. Equal weight ensures same size layers.
White cake best served with?
This white cake has a great base flavor and can be paired with variety of fillings and frostings. Vanilla buttercream, chocolate buttercream or ganache, fresh fruits and whipped cream or just as it is.
White Vanilla Cake
- 227 grams unsalted soft butter (room temperature)
- 340 grams castor/grinded sugar
- 6 large egg whites*
- 397 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 283 grams milk
- 28 grams vegetable oil**
- 1 cup soft unsalted butter
- 3 cups icing/confectioner's/powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ***
- generous pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
For the Vanilla Cake
For Vanilla Buttercream
1. Cream butter, salt and vanilla really well for 5 minutes.
2. Add icing sugar, cream and mix with spatula.
3. Beat again for 8 minutes until smooth and creamy buttercream is obtained.
Tip: In winters you can use slightly warmed cream, in summers, chilled cream can help obtain stable consistency.
* Do no discard egg yolks, either use it to make pastry cream or lemon tarts or ice cream, all recipes can be found on the blog.
** Any neutral flavored vegetable oil like canola, corn
*** If you want to make whiter buttercream, skip the dark colored vanilla
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 741Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 94gFiber: 1gSugar: 70gProtein: 6g