Today I am sharing a super simple and easy chocolate chip cookie cake that will surely become a favorite. While we are all safe at home, practicing social distancing and self quarantine, celebrating occasions at home is new normal, at least for a while. If you have someone in family whose birthday is coming up and chocolate chip cookies happens to be their favorite (why not), do give this easy chocolate chip cookie cake a try.
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake from scratch?
This recipe is just the extension of my classic chocolate chip cookies. The ingredients and ratios are similar just cornflour or cornstarch and baking soda in place of baking powder is the amendment. Many people ask how to make a cookie cake with cookie dough, you can do that with some varying result however as mentioned above the differences are minor.
How do you know when cookie cake is done?
Though it is similar to how you bake a cookie or a cake, however, following are the signs of doneness when you know for sure that your chocolate chip cookie cake is done.
- The edges will be golden brown
- The center of the cookie will be set
- The cookie will have a cookes/matte finish rather than glossy
- Do not overbake as it tends to get drier, the cookie will set when cooled.
How to decorate chocolate chip cookie cake?
- The classic pictures you will find is the star border of chocolate buttercream which is ever so great combination. I also make it when I have some buttercream leftover because it requires very less.
- Any other flavored frosting like cream cheese, vanilla or ganache
- You can also drizzle some melted chocolate
- Some fun/colorful sprinkles would add a celebratory touch
- You can pipe a message or use skewers to place a small banner
Can you make chocolate chip cookie without oven?
Well, when I had prepared the batter and everything, my oven gave up and I ended up baking on a stove top mimicking a small oven. You can take a covered cooking pot bigger and deeper than the size of your pan, preheat the pot with a heatsafe stand inside (use an inverted bowl or something so your pan is not in direct contact with the base of your pot) and place your pan on it. Bake covered for 15 minutes or until done on a medium/slow heat.
How to store cookie cake and Substitutions?
- The cookie cake can be stored at room temperature (unless you use a perishable frosting) covered .
- Egg yolk adds richness to the cake, you can skip it. I have not tried it without corn flour, but skipping that should be ok too.
- If you find your prepared dough too wet to press in the pan, refrigerate for sometime like 30 minutes and then continue.
For the Cookie Cake
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon corn flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanillapinch of salt
- pinch of salt
For the Cookie Cake:
1. Beat butter and sugars until creamy.
2. Add egg and egg yolk with vanilla.
3. Sift in dry ingredients into the batter and beat until just combined.
4. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Spread into 9 inches preferably spring foam pan (to take out easily), greased and lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 F for 15-18 minutes or until done, alternatively you can bake on stove top in a larger deeper pot, preheated on a medium heat and a heat resistant stand inside.
For the frosting:
1. Beat butter with an electric mixer really well until creamy and no lumps.
2. Add in rest of the ingredients and beat until well combined and smooth.
3. Pipe on the edges of the cooled cookie cake.
If you make this recipe please tag with #bakefresh to get featured