Make this easy, moist, one bowl lemon loaf cake recipe with or without an electric beater using pantry staple ingredients, finished with optional tangy lemon drizzle. It is also very close to one of the most popular Pakistani Cake found in most bakeries.
Enjoy this Lemon Cake with afternoon tea, or morning coffee or whip it up quickly to serve your guests. Use freshly zested lemon peel for that burst and depth of flavor. It is so intense that you do not need any other kind of flavorings.
What is Lemon Loaf?
Lemon Loaf is a moist, old fashion lemon bread made with yogurt and lemon zest among other ingredients. It is essentially a cake (quick bread – because no yeast, only leavening agents) that is baked in a loaf pan.
Do you put Lemon Cake in the fridge?
Store Lemon Cake at room temperature in a box or well covered for up to 3 days, but after that move to refrigerator for maximum 7 days in total.
Can Lemon Loaf be frozen?
You can freeze any bread, cake or loaf, well wrapped and placed in a zip lock bag for up to a month in the freezer. To thaw, place it overnight on the counter.
- For the Lemon Loaf
- 2/3 cup or 125 grams butter*
- 1 cup or 220 grams castor/grinded sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups or 225 grams all-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup or 180 grams full-fat yogurt
For the Lemon Drizzle:
- 1 1/2 cups icing/ confectioner's/powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon soft butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Lemon Loaf:
If using electric mixer or stand mixer - Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat well starting from low speed to medium, till the mixture is light and creamy in texture.
If using hands:
- Beat softened butter and sugar with a spatula till well-combined.
- Switch to a whisk and mix again till light and creamy. Add in eggs and lemon zest.
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Add to the batter along with the yogurt.
- Mix well until nice, light and homogenous mixture is obtained.
- Place in a greased and floured 8x4 inches loaf pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 325 F for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Cool for 10 minutes before placing on a serving dish.
- Drizzle with optional Lemon Icing.
For the Lemon Drizzle:
Mix all the ingredients on low heat stirring continuously and use immediately.
For best results - weigh the butter
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 531Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 1gSugar: 64gProtein: 5g
If you like this recipe then you might also enjoy
Find an easy video tutorial here.
If you try this recipe, please rate it, this will help my website to a great deal.