This delicious, easy, light and versatile dessert is an adaption of Mishti doi or Bhapa doi – a Bangladeshi traditional dessert but instead of pro-longed cooking hours or cooking it in steam, this condensed milk , 3 ingredient version can be baked in a double bath.
What are the basic ingredients for baked yogurt?
For this recipe, we will be needing only 3 basic ingredients – cream, yogurt, and condensed milk. Take note, however, that there are numerous ways in making a baked yogurt. You can add vanilla essence, saffron strands or other mild spice like cinnamon or cardamom powder but the choice really depends on your preference. For me, I like to keep it simple with just a dash of vanilla and top with seasonal fresh fruits or compote.
Where did baked yogurt originate from?
What happens if you bake yogurt?
When you bake Yogurt along with two other ingredients (Cream and Condensed Milk), it results in a delicious mildly sweet, and tangy dessert. Baked Yogurt as the name suggests is baked in a double bath until set. It is called Bhapa doi in India, mishti doi in Bangladesh while in Pakistan specially Karachi, it is called meetha dahi (sweet yogurt).
What does baked yogurt taste like?
I love baked yogurt for its milk sweetness from condensed milk, creamy texture, and subtle tang from the yogurt. It can be served with a variety of toppings but fresh seasonal fruits and edible flowers not only taste great but also give that aesthetic look.
- 1 tin (397 grams) condensed milk
- 100 mL cream
- 500 grams yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fruits for garnishing
- In a mixing bowl, pour in the yoghurt.
- Add the condensed milk and cream.
- Add the vanilla extract. This will add flavor to your yoghurt.
- Whisk all the ingredients gently but thoroughly.
- Place the dish/ramekins in a large baking dish.
- Pour the batter to the ramekins.
- Pour water in the large baking dish to do a water bath.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 300F for 15-20 minutes or until it has set and not jiggly.
- Remove from the oven, cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with fruits of your choice.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips in making a baked yogurt:
In making a 3-ingredient baked yogurt, it is best to take note of a few tips:
- Bake in a water bath to keep it creamy from the inside
- Be creative in choosing your garnish or toppings. There are a lot of toppings to choose from, and you can experiment with a variety of fruit and nut combinations that are always available at your nearest supermarkets.